Thursday, September 29, 2011

Bobbiejane

Funny story;

When I was little I distinctly remember my mom telling the secretary at the big orange desk at Canyon View Elementary that my name was "Bobbiejane, with a little j, and all one word." We had this discussion with many secretaries/teachers/pretty much anyone who asked what my name was. Naturally, I believed that this was indeed my name. Bobbiejane. Not Bobbie like a boy, not Rachel, or Lyndsay, or something easy to remember, but "Bobbiejane little j, all one word."

When I decided to go to Mexico when I was 19, all I needed was my birth certificate to get back into the country. Standing at the gate with birth certificate in hand, I looked at my legal name for the first time.

There it was in the two black boxes, yes TWO boxes, one for first name, one for middle name. Bobbie
Jane. Separated. Capitol J. I felt cheated, like I had been lied to my entire life. When I questioned my mother about the situation, her response was  "Those d*** people in the birth certificate office put down whatever the he** they want!"

Whatevs, I still go by Bobbiejane, little j, all one word.

Anyways, I occasionally peruse the internet looking for incredible people with my same namesake. I've googled "bobbiejane stauffer" or "bobbiejane" and until recently I hadn't found anything that interesting. Then I found this girl representing with her own website.

www.bobbiejane.com 

What a baller.

I think this girl is more like me at that age; so you go bobbiejane, you go.

1 comment:

  1. That little Bobbie Jane is crazy! And by that, I mean, not a good singer. I feel like maybe her parents are putting her up to it? Either way, I wish you had the domain bobbiejane.com

    ReplyDelete